Yeo Chee Kiong (Singapore)
Jendela is a rare two-dimensional creation in the artist's largely three-dimensional practice. It is based on an early work of his that was presented at Jendela (Visual Arts Space) in 2008, in which he created a ‘tangible’ shadow cast on the gallery floor that referred to the shadow cast by the unique structure of Jendela.Then, he had been fascinated by the visual outcome and, for the next nine years, would keep thinking of how he could extend that concept into other formations. Sketching with 6B pencil lines the view outside the Jendela gallery and the pouring epoxy that represents the cast shadow in 2008's piece, this work takes a ‘black on black’ approach to generate multiple tonal values through the characteristic quality of each applied material.
Chee Kiong is an adjunct lecturer at Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, LASALLE College of the Arts and Ngee Ann Polytechnic. He is also the president of the Sculpture Society, Singapore (2005 – 2009, 2015 - present). He presented solo exhibitions, The House (2007) at Jendela (Visual Arts Space) and Endless Night (Esplanade Concourse, 2009) and also participated in These Sacred Things (2015) at Jendela (Visual Arts Space).
: $2,140 (incl. of GST)
Terms & ConditionsThese terms and conditions (these "Terms") shall govern your registration (the "Registrant") and your bidding (the "Bidder") in the 80by80 Charity Auction (the "Auction") for the 80by80 frame (the “Artwork”), facilitated and coordinated by The Esplanade Co. Ltd (the "Organiser") and the beneficiary The Esplanade Co. Ltd (the “Beneficiary”). By registering to participate in the Charity Auction, you certify that you have read and agreed to comply with and be bound by these terms.
- The Organiser reserves the right to change these Terms from time to time, and the Registrant agrees to abide by the current version of these terms each time the Registrant and Bidder views and uses the Auction website https://80by80.esplanade.com (the “Auction Site”)
- The Auction begins on 19 Oct 2017, 7PM and ends on 19 Nov 2017, 11:59PM. No exceptions will be accepted.
- Once the Registrant/ Bidder clicks on the BID button to bid for the Artwork, and the bid transaction is successfully completed within the valid hours of the Auction, the bid shall be final and binding. No exceptions will be accepted.
- All bids are denominated in Singapore dollars and shall be in whole dollars without cents.
- Upon clicking on the BID button, the Bidder enters and submits his/ her personal information that will be processed and used by the Organiser for the purpose of this Charity Auction.
- The Bidder will receive a one-time password (OTP) via a Singapore mobile phone number provided by the Registrant/ Bidder. The Bidder is required to enter the OTP in the bid transaction for verification in the Auction Site.
- Overseas phone number is not accepted for use in this Charity Auction.
- The Registrant/ Bidder grants permission to the Organiser to contact the Registrant/ Bidder for verification.
- The Bidder must not permit any third party to input his/ her account information on his/ her behalf or otherwise. The Bidder will be liable for all bids made via the Bidder’s account.
- All information of the Registrant/Bidder is collected for event registration purposes and will be kept strictly confidential at all times.
- Email confirmations and other communication for the submitted bid will be sent to the Bidder using the email account provided by the Registrant/ Bidder. The Organiser will not be responsible for any non-receipt of such emails if the email account provided by the Registrant/ Bidder is invalid, inaccurate or is not able to receive email for any reasons whatsoever.
- The current bid will be displayed on the Auction site during the bid transaction. Only incremental bids of $50 Singapore dollars and above will be accepted.
- In the event a higher bid amount is received for an Artwork within the valid auction hours, an email notification will be sent to the second highest Bidder to inform them of the same.
- The Bidder acknowledges that the Bidder is participating in a live auction and agrees that each bid submitted that is in accordance with these terms and conditions is irrevocable and cannot be amended or corrected, including bids that are submitted in error, notwithstanding the fact that the Organiser is informed by the Bidder of such error. The Bidder accepts full liability for all bids submitted via the Bidder’s Auction account (including the liability to make payment in full for the bid and within the stipulated deadline in accordance with the payment conditions for any Artwork that is the subject of a successful bid submitted through the Bidder/Registrant account).
- The Organiser reserves the right to reject a registration to bid online, withdraw its permission for the Bidder to use the Bidder/Registrant account for any reason and at any time prior to, during or after the Auction.
- The Bidder will be contacted through the Singapore mobile phone number provided in the Bidder/Registrant account by the Organiser upon a successful bid.
- The Bidder agrees to pay for in full and receives the Artwork that is the subject of a successful bid submitted by the Bidder or from the Bidder’s Auction account.
- The Esplanade Co Ltd (“Organiser” and “Beneficiary”) is a registered Charity and an Institution of a Public Character. Successful Bidders who are Singapore tax residents will be accorded tax deduction on the difference between the bid value that is donated to the Beneficiary and the market value of each Artwork as stipulated in its reserve price (Starting Bid).
- Proceeds from this Auction will go towards the Beneficiary to enable the presentation of free programmes (including visual arts exhibitions) at Esplanade.
- It is the Bidder’s responsibility to ensure that funds are available to pay the successful bid price in full before submitting a Bid for the Artwork in the Auction site. If the Bidder is a successful Bidder, payment shall be remitted to the Organiser within 7 working days (by 29 Nov 2017) after the closing date of the Charity Auction.
- The highest bid received for each Artwork will be deemed to be the winning bid for that Artwork. In the instance where full payment could not be made by the successful Bidder within the stipulated timeline or for whatever reasons, the Organiser reserves its right to render such bid invalid. The Organiser will have full rights to offer the Artwork to the second highest Bidder without the need to seek consent from the highest Bidder.
Payment shall be made to the Organiser through the following modes of payment:
- Personal Cheque
- Credit Card (details to be provided by the successful Bidder on a Donor form)
- The Bidder agrees that the Auction is part of the visual arts exhibition, 80by80, presented by the Organiser at the Esplanade Tunnel from 12 Oct 2017 to 03 Jan 2018. The Bidder and Successful Bidder grant the Organiser the rights to continue exhibiting the Artworks for the full duration of the exhibition until 03 Jan 2018.
- Only Artworks that have been successfully paid for will be released and are to be collected by the successful Bidder. Collection of the Artwork will be arranged from 03 Jan 2018 onwards.
- Delivery, insurance, and installation of Artwork are not included.
Tax Deduction NoticeThe Esplanade Co Ltd is a registered Charity and an Institution of a Public Character. Successful Bidders who are Singapore tax residents will be accorded tax deduction on the difference between the bid value that is donated to the Beneficiary and the market value of each Artwork as stipulated in its reserve price (Starting Bid).